Cilantro Lime Bean Salsa


Growing up, my mom and I loved anything cilatro and lime! They just go together so well! We often made a cilantro, lime and tomato salsa. Fresh salsa is just so satisfying and it goes with so many dishes. Since I have been eating plant based, I've been thinking a lot about making this salsa we always had growing up, it's a recipe I have just known by heart. Seriously the past 5 months I have been thinking about making it (procrastination!). Well, just the other day I starting thinking of ways to make a yummy salsa that is much more hearty - and today I did just that! With the different combination of beans, tomatoes, cilantro, lime and spices this turned out to be a spectacular dish! 

It will work for any barbeque or party, it doesn't neccesarily scream "VEGAN!" to anyone, you could eat it as a side dish with lunch, on top of a salad or serve with a good stir fry and couscous for dinner (my plans for tonight). It is packed with flavor and if you love cilantro and lime the way I do, you'll want to make this every sunday to keep in the fridge for the week. Absolutely no oil was used and it is packed with good, hearty nutrients! 


Ingredients:
  • 15 oz. can white beans (roughly 1 3/4 cup) rinsed and drained
  • 2 - 15 oz. cans pinto beans (roughly 3 1/2 cups) rinsed and drained
  • 15 oz. can black beans (roughly 1 3/4 cup) rinsed and drained (can sub 1 serving of beans with black eyed peas, kidney beans or chick peas - if desired)
  • 14.5 oz can petite diced tomatoes (I use no salt added)
  • 3 roma tomatoes - diced (about 1 cup)
  • 1 yellow onion finely chopped
  • Juice of 3 limes (1/2 cup lime juice)
  • 1 bunch of cilantro finely chopped (1 cup chopped)
  • 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 2 teaspoons onion salt
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
  • 1 teaspoon lemon juice
What you do:
  • Add all ingredients in a large bowl 


  • Gently fold together until everything is well blended
  • Taste and add salt and pepper or more spices if desired (mine didn't need any)
  • (Suggested) Refridgerate at least 1 hour before serving
  • Enjoy with whole grain chips, pita chips, tortilla chips, on top of a salad, on top of a taco or by itself! 


XOXOXOXO - ENJOY!!!! 



UPDATE:
This morning I decided I wanted to do something more with this salsa - so I made one slice of my hummus avocado toast (toasted whole grain vegan bread, hummus, mashed avocado seasoned with garlic salt, cayenne pepper and crushed pepper flakes, topped with sliced tomato) and then after putting hummus on my second piece of toast, I just put this bean salsa on top! IT WAS INCREDIBLE! 



Comments

Popular Posts