Smokey Spicy Vegan Cashew Cheese


Before becoming vegan, and this is hard to admit, my favorite food was salad, covered in cheese and you know, a few vegetables - and my favorite snack was crackers and cheese. It was an unhealthy relationship, cheese and it's addicting properties had me hooked. I can admit it now, but at the time I didn't think it was a problem. Only to later figure out it was the source of my outrageous acne I have been battling relentlessly for the past 6 years. 

I have been vegan for 5 months - before cutting out meat, I solely cut cheese and dairy out of my diet, to start my "transition period", 6 months with no cheese. And I am alive! Can you believe it? Well, I was hesitant on trying any faux cheeses out there because first, they are very expensive. Second, I bought a pizza from Mod Pizza one day, and decided to try out their "Dairy Free Shreds (Daiya)" and to me, it tasted like soggy bread, strung all over my beautiful veggie pizza. After the pizza incident, I decided to be a bit more skeptical of faux cheese. 

Since the incident, I have bought Field Roast Chao slices - I have tried their pepper jack and a white version, and they are delicious! Amazing on sandwiches and perfect for crackers and cheese. I had my favorite snack again! The only problem? A package of, what? 10 slices of cheese, costs me roughly $8. That is a hefty price for something to snack on. Definitely not something I would consider "affordable" or as a possible staple in my house, it just isn't practical. So, I have been scouring recipes to try out a "sliceable" vegan cheese. 

My only real goal here, was a decent taste and a simple process to accomplish this cheese. Maybe a cheaper price tag as well. I altered a lot of spices to my liking, and simplified a few processes and I think this recipe I have created is amazing! I look forward to making it for our next get together with friends and it is definitely on my menu for Thanksgiving day horderves. 


Poor quality picture (sorry, flash and stuff) but all ingredients.
Ingredients:

  • 1 Cup Soaked Cashews - forgot to soak your cashews? Try my Quick Soak method here
  • 1/2 Cup Nutritional Yeast Flakes
  • 1 Tbsp Smoked Paprika
  • 1 Tbsp Maple Syrup
  • 1 Tbsp Agar-Agar Powder (Can find at most natural stores or buy online like I did by clicking here)
  • 1 Clove Garlic
  • 1 Lemon Juiced
  • 1 Tsp Turmeric
  • 1/2 Tsp Cayenne (More or less to taste - depending on spice preference)
  • 1 Tbsp Red Pepper Flakes (optional - added spice)
  • A dash of salt
  • 1 1/2 cups water - split into (2) 3/4 cup - 1 for blender, 1 for boiling agar powder

What you do:
  • Place 3/4 cup water, soaked cashews, nutritional yeast, maple syrup, garlic, lemon juice, turmeric, cayenne, salt and red pepper flakes in blender.
  • Blend on high until very smooth consistency
  • Put 3/4 water in pan with agar agar powder
  • Simmer for 5 minutes, whisking constantly, make sure there are no lumps of agar powder forming in the bottom
  • After 5 minutes, remove from heat
  • Add blended mixture into the pan and continue to whisk

  • Get selected "cheese" mold ready (I chose a glass tupperware bowl) - oil sides or use a cheese cloth
  • Form mixture into mold - I sprinkled dried parsley and more red pepper flakes on top
  • Refrigerate 2-6 hours, keep refrigerated
  • Slice and enjoy with crackers or on a vegan sandwich


I hope this cheese makes all your vegan cheese come true, like it has mine. Finally - crackers and cheese again! Yum!




Comments

  1. Ive never heard of Agar Powder.. can this be left out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agar is what makes the cheese hold its form. If you leave out the agar and 3/4 water you are going to be left with a smokey cheese sauce. Hope this helps. The agar is straight fiber, as far as nutrition information goes.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts