Easy Dill Roasted Chickpeas



I have a weird relationship with chickpeas, I want to love them in their natural state - but I don't! I love hummus, so much. I love chickpea salad sandwiches. However, I do not like fresh chickpeas on a salad, or them alone. I have heard a lot about roasted chickpeas (I know, I know, where have I been? Everyone knows about these.) Yesterday I finally decided to do a little research on how other people prepare them and decided to give my own route a go. Most recipes I could find called for cayenne and maple syrup?! That did not sound good to me. It might make for a savory flavor, but I just don't think I could savor that flavor. I don't even have maple syrup at my house, ever. So - after looking through many combinations of spices that didn't scream "YUMMMMY!" to me, I decided I'd go my own route. Here is what I did, they were quick, easy, tasty, and they make a great protein additive to breakfast, dinner, lunch or even as a nice little crunchy snack. I significantly reduced the oil most recipes called for - they were still delicious. If anyone tries or does them without oil, I'd love to hear how it works! 



What you need:
  • Cookie sheet - lined with tin foil
  • 2 - 15.5 oz. cans of chickpeas or garbonzo beans (I use reduced sodium)
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt or sea salt
  • 1 large/medium tupperware or bowl with lid
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons thyme
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons dill
  • 1 teaspoon onion salt
  • 1 teaspoon paprika 
  • 1 teaspoon dried minced onions
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder 
What you do:
  • Preheat oven to 450
  • Drain and rinse chickpeas - put in tupperware
  • Add olive oil and salt/sea salt - put lid on and shake it up to even distribute oil and salt
  • Spread on foil covered cookie sheet

  • Bake for 20 - 25 minutes - until toasty brown
  • In the mean time - wash and dry tupperware and lid
  • Mix dill, thyme, onion salt, minced onions, garlic powder and paprika in the tupperware
  • Once the chickpeas are done baking, use a spatula to put toasted chickpeas into the tupperware
  • Put lid on and toss, until each is covered in the spice mix
  • Serve immediately, best when warm.
  • I did eat some cold ones with breakfast this morning (picture with cucumber bagel) and they were delicious! I plan to do this multiple times a week now! 

I served with couscous and a delicious stir fry! 

XOXOXO - Enjoy! Thanks for looking





Comments

Popular Posts