Easy, Quick Sweet Potato Spicy Cakes


I have really been in the mood for crunchy things during the day lately, I have been getting worried I may be eating a few too many pita and tortilla chips - so I have been actively looking for a tasty, crunchy, satisfying food - that is a "whole food", with minimal oil and not processed. Today I stumbled upon a recipe for sweet potato cakes - I liked the idea but I didn't like that it called for white flour and oil. I decided to give these a try with some cleaner ingredients and less oil and they worked out great!

I have been getting bored and almost "turned off" to sweet potatoes lately with the way I have been roasting them, these are definitly going to be taking the place of them! They were flavorful, crisp and had great texture. I did cook them in the pan with some olive oil, I probably only used 1/2 tablespoon for the 6 cakes the recipe makes. Next time I try them I will attempt to use water and will do an update at the bottom of this recipe - stay tuned and enjoy!

What you need:

  • 1 Sweet Potato of choice (I chose white, it's what I had on hand) grated
  • 4 tablespoons oat bran (yes! hot cereal, it is high fiber and works great as a thickening agent or replacement for white flour!) *photo of bag at bottom of page
  • 1/2 teaspoon onion salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne (less or more to taste - depending on spice preference)
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 - 1 tablespoon olive oil (for frying in the pan)


What you do:
  • In a medium bowl mix grated potato, oat bran, onion salt, paprika, curry, cayenne and garlic well with a fork until all spices are evenly distributed 
  • Heat fry pan (medium/low), put oil in and form potato mixture into patties - whichever size you prefer
  • Cook on each side until golden brown (roughly 3-4 minutes, depending on heat)
  • Recipe made 6 medium sized cakes 
  • I served with some sauteed zucchini, kale quinoa bites and a hummus buffalo sauce! 





Comments

Popular Posts