Easy Vegan Quinoa Tacos



I have been craving mexican food for the past week. I looked in the cupboard tonight and saw I had some red quinoa left and a taco seasoning packet - I decided I was going to make my own taco's! Boy am I glad I did, they were so tasty! I ate four and I probably could have ate six more had I not ran out of corn tortillas. They definitly hit the spot - I used minimal oil (which is optional if you are WFPBNO) and they are packed with nutrients, fiber and protein! Hope you will give this recipe a try, we all enjoyed it at my house tonight!

Easy Vegan Quinoa Taco's

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup cooked quinoa (cooked in water or broth - I used red quinoa cooked in vegetable broth)
  • 1 cup chopped mushrooms (down to whichever size you or your family prefer)
  • 1 - 15 oz. can of corn - drained
  • 1 - 15 oz. can of black beans - drained and rinsed (I use reduced sodium)
  • 1 cup water (to start with the mushrooms)
  • 1/4 cup water (to put in mix with taco seasoning)
  • 2 teaspoons onion salt
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 taco seasoning packet (or make your own using this recipe)
  • Tortillas/Taco shells of your choice (I used corn tortillas - street taco style)
Suggested toppings (they were SO GOOD)
  • Fresh sliced limes or lime juice
  • Chopped cabbage
  • Fresh sliced jalepeno's
  • Fresh or bottled salsa

What you do:
  • In a large skillet put in 1 cup of water, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 2 teaspoons onion salt, 1 teaspoon garlic salt, and 1 cup of chopped mushrooms
  • Cook on medium heat until water has evaporated (usually about 10-12 minutes, depending of prefered texture)
  • Once water is evaporated add 1 tablespoon of olive oil, can of corn, cooked quinoa and black beans
  • Stir in taco seasoning and 1/4 cup water
  • Keep on Medium heat - frequently stirring until water has evaporated
  • Heat tortillas (I did mine on a separate pan, in a tiny dab of olive oil)
  • Spoon mix into tortillas and top with your favorite toppings 

I paired with a chopped asian salad kit - would be delicious with fresh fruit or salad as well! 

Enjoy!! XOXOXO - we will definitly be having these again soon!

Recipe fed 3 adults (4 taco's each), 1 child (a half cup) and we had about a cup and a half left over. I need to get better on my suggested serving sizes, sorry! 


Comments

Popular Posts