Slow Cooker Vegetable Lentil Soup (Oil Free and Easy!)


For the last month I have had a bag of dried lentils in my cupboard. I have been searching for a way to prepare them, so I would fall in love with them again. It has been years since I have ate lentils (I eat lentil pasta, and other things made from lentils, just not in this whole, natural way) they are such an incredible, nutrient packed food, (very affordable as well) and I have been wanting to regularly include them in my diet.

Beware: This is a long post about where I found my inspiration for this incredible soup. Sometimes I get annoyed with long blog posts for a recipe - if your in a hurry, feel free to CLICK HERE FOR THE RECIPE - NO BACK STORY. P.s. you are welcome. Enjoy!

I have also included non slow cooker recipes (1 hour pot). 

We took a trip to Leavenworth, Washington a few weeks ago, which is a post itself (but it is the inspiration to my soup) - bear with me, including it in here, because it was an incredible day! So much scenery on the drive up there. 


I even climbed the rock wall - twice! They tried to challenge me to a few different challenges, that I failed at, but I made it up to the top and rang the bell, twice. It was a great workout and my forearms hurt after. 



The city itself, including all the architecture, is so unique, you could sit and study each hotel, shop, bakery and restaurant for hours, the streets have an incredible feel and I am anticipating our next visit.




I had done searching before, and asked for locals recommendations for where to eat while we were up there, we decided on Munchen Haus, they had regular options (we had omni friends with us) and they had vegan options for me, which I was excited for. Plus lots of great beer!


I decided to try a Field Roast Brat, and I got their vegetable soup. I smothered my brat in mustard and their famous sauerkraut. The soup was filled with flavor, but I felt as though it was a cup of tomato and veggie broth. It had maybe 3 onion slices, 4 potato cubes and a slice of carrot, or two (I made be exaggerating a little, haha). Which was disappointing. But the fire roasted tomato taste was incredible, one that stuck with me, that I knew I had to find a way to recreate. 




Please don't get me wrong, I would go back and order the exact same thing again, in a heart beat - I just really wanted a hearty, filling soup with the same flavors at home. I will support a business with vegan options any day! The outdoor environment at this restaurant was energizing and great. Enjoying your food with new faces is also a joy of mine and we got to sit with a few other groups, which added to our experience. 


If you ever get the opportunity - definitely head to Leavenworth for Oktoberfest, or I hear their Christmas festivities are amazing! 






 Which brings me to my final product - yummy, flavorful, healthy Lentil Vegetable Soup.



Ingredients:

  • 1 - 16oz bag of brown or green lentils (I used brown) *dried
  • 8 cups (64 oz) Vegetable stock
  • 1 - 28 oz can diced tomato's *fire roasted (Fire roasted brings life to this soup - can use 15.5 oz can as well, I wanted added flavor so went with more)
  • 2 medium white potatoes, peeled and diced
  • 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped 
  • 2 celery stalks, sliced
  • 1 large onion, diced
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper
  • 2 shakes of garlic salt (optional)
  • 2 cups fresh kale, chopped (set aside until last 15 minutes)

What you do:
  • Combine all ingredients in your crock pot (will be very full! mine was) *LEAVE KALE IN FRIDGE
  • Stir well
  • Cook on high for 6-8 hours or low for 7-9
  • Add Kale for the last 15-30 minutes, until it reaches desired texture

*If you do not want to use the slow cooker method to cook - here is what you do:

  • In a large pot - add (1 tsp olive oil or 1 tbsp vegetable broth) 
  • Turn to Medium/high heat - add onion, garlic, potato, carrot, celery, salt and pepper
  • Once onions look translucent in color (4-6 minutes) add can of fire roasted tomatoes, lentils and vegetable broth
  • Bring mixture to a rolling boil
  • Turn down to a medium simmer (bubbles present) cook for 1 hour (until lentils reach desired texture)
  • Add kale for the last 10-15 minutes


This soup is very budget friendly - this fed 4 people, two of which had seconds, and we will get 4 lunches out of it. Price breaks down as shown (this is based on my local prices, which are generally higher).

Lentils: $1.28
Veggie Stock: $3.00 (you can make your own very easily!)
Tomatoes: $2.23
Potatoes: $0.50
Carrots: $0.30
Celery: $0.30
Onion: $0.50
Kale: $0.35
Total: $8.46




XOXO ENJOY! Leave some feedback if you try it please. 

Comments

Popular Posts