Vegetable Noodle Soup


Yesterday was a sick rain day. My little one woke up with a fever and an upset stomach, wanted to be held and snuggled all day and it was pouring rain outside. I was exhausted before lunch time, and after scouring the fridge and my cabinets, I decided I wanted to make some soup. 

A few weeks ago I was shopping at Fred Meyer and was looking at their "alternate flours" where I find my oat flour and TVP (textured vegetable protein) and saw they had some "Not Chick'n cubes" for $2. I was so excited, I had to buy some to give them a try! Normally, I do homemade vegetable broth every other week or so, but it is a lot of work and sometimes it's nice to just throw a cube in and have some broth. So I was excited to give them a try. I know you can also find similar things on amazon if a local store doesn't carry them near you.




I wasn't planning on blogging this recipe until my husband came home and ate some soup for dinner and raved about how good it was. I love healthy, hearty soups and they are seriously the ultimate healthy comfort food. Hope you enjoy. 


Ingredients:

  • 8 cups of water (If you don't have broth cubes, sub with vegetable broth)
  • 4 Not - Chick'n Cubes (If not available just use 8 cups vegetable broth)
  • 2 carrots (sliced)
  • 2 celery stalks (sliced)
  • 1 cup mushrooms (sliced)
  • 1 1/2 cup chopped cabbage 
  • 1 - 15 oz can fire roasted tomatoes
  • 1 tbsp minced garlic 
  • 1 zucchini - quartered/diced
  • 1 1/2 cup dry elbow noodles 
  • 2 tsp oregano 
  • 1 tsp salt (more to taste)
  • 1 tsp pepper
What you do:
  • In a large pot combine water (or broth) with not chick'n cubes, salt, pepper and oregano. Turn heat up high while whisking - until blended.
  • Add in mushrooms, carrots, celery, fire roasted tomatoes, garlic and cabbage, stirring continually.
  • Bring to a boil, continue stirring - let boil 2-5 minutes, then reduce to a high simmer and cover for 15 minutes.
  • Add noodles and zucchini, bring to a boil again, for 2-5 minutes, cover and reduce heat for 10-15 minutes (until noodles are soft).
  • Once noodles are soft, taste, add salt if necessary, and enjoy. 

Comments

Popular Posts